Call Our HELPLINE: 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636)

Finding Allied Health Professionals

People living with Parkinson’s disease (PD) benefit most from a comprehensive, team-based healthcare approach.

People living with Parkinson's disease (PD) benefit most from a comprehensive, team-based healthcare approach. The Parkinson's Foundation promotes an allied health team approach in our Centers of Excellence networks. Having a group of medically diverse experts effectively managing your PD symptoms can maximize your quality of life. While some people find all of their specialists in one practice, in most cases, the person with PD will have to build a team. 

Your allied healthcare team should include many of the following professionals:

Movement Disorders Specialist

Movement disorders specialists are neurologists who specialize in conditions such as Parkinson's disease and have experience treating it at every stage. The Parkinson's Foundation recommends people diagnosed with PD make a movement disorders doctor a major part of their healthcare team. If you live near a medical center that has a movement disorders program, one of these specialists may be your regular PD doctor. For those without easy access to an academic medical center or a specialist in private practice, we recommend a nearby general neurologist for most of your care and then traveling a longer distance a few times a year to see a specialist.

Speech-Language Pathologist

Speech-language pathologists A specialist in the diagnosis and treatment of speech and language disorders. Can also assess and treat swallowing difficulties. assess and treat communication, speech and swallowing problems. These therapists can help ease PD-related speaking and eating challenges if they arise.

Physical Therapist

Physical therapists help people living with PD maintain or regain mobility. They develop customized exercises to address walking, balance, posture, flexibility and strength challenges associated with Parkinson's. A physical therapist can also provide ways to prevent freezing Temporary, involuntary inability to take a step or initiate movement. and falls. 

Occupational Therapist

An occupational therapist can help change your home or work environment, your approach to tasks and even the tasks themselves to meet any PD-related challenges. Occupational therapists can also help you find any assistive devices — from a swivel seat for your car to a specialized computer mouse — suited to your needs. 

Social Worker

Social workers offer counseling services to individuals, couples and families. A social worker can also help sort out and resolve insurance, housing and disability issues.  


Nutritionists can suggest optimal foods to help you continue to live well with Parkinson's. A nutritionist or dietician can also be helpful if you have trouble chewing or swallowing, difficulty preparing nutritious meals or problems with your weight.

Other Specialists

The services of complementary therapists and others can be helpful. If you're considering deep brain stimulation (DBS) A surgical treatment for Parkinson's disease. A special wire (lead) is inserted into a specific area of the brain responsible for movement. The lead is connected to a pacemaker-like device implanted in the chest region. This device creates electrical pulses, sent through the lead, which “stimulate” the brain and control abnormal brain cell activity. surgery, a neurosurgeon and neuropsychologist A licensed psychologist with expertise in how behavior and skills are related to brain structures and systems. In clinical neuropsychology, brain function is evaluated by objectively testing memory and thinking skills. A physician who combines specialties of neurology and psychiatry to treat and manage the emotional (mental health) and cognitive symptoms of neurological diseases. will become members of your team. Consider adding a mental health professional to your team to help address mood changes and coping with PD.

Find expert care in your area or call the Parkinson's Foundation Helpline at 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636).

Watch this webinar for more information about Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Visit.

mail icon

Subscribe here to get the latest news on treatments, research and other updates.