A Donor-Advised Fund (DAF) is a charitable giving program that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to make life better for people with Parkinson’s.
Donor-Advised Funds allow donors to put a large sum of money into a charitable investment account (getting an immediate tax deduction) and pay out donations to nonprofits over time.
They are an excellent way to simplify your charitable giving and still achieve your strategic philanthropic goals.
The Basics of DAFs
- DAF accounts are held at entities such as financial institutions or community foundations. Examples include:
- Commercial Organizations - Fidelity Charitable, Schwab Charitable, Vanguard Charitable, BNY Mellon or private community foundations
- National Organizations - National Philanthropic Trust, American Endowment Foundation
- Community Foundations - Local, religious-based, etc.
- These agencies invest the money held in DAF accounts, so the value grows (tax-free).
- It is easy to support causes you care about through a DAF:
- Contribute funds to your DAF and receive a tax deduction
- Recommend an amount be donated from your DAF to your favorite charities
- The grant is issued by the agency directly to the nonprofit(s) you choose
Why consider a Donor Advised Fund?
Donor advised funds are utilized for their flexibility and immediate tax deduction, among many other benefits.
Can I donate illiquid or appreciated non-cash assets to a DAF?
Yes! Donors can convert illiquid assets or other complex gifts into cash through their DAF. In fact, direct donation of publicly traded securities or other illiquid gifts is one of the most common ways to fund a DAF.
What types of non-cash assets can I donate to a DAF?
Depending on your DAF agency, the types of eligible assets may vary.
Already have a DAF?
Recommending a gift to the Parkinson's Foundation from your Donor Advised Fund is easy!
Simply click the button below, type in the name of your DAF holding agency, and you’ll be directed to their website where you can submit the request. Please note, you will be directed to an external website to complete your transaction.
When you make a Donor Advised Fund gift, it is possible that the sponsoring organization will not share your information with us. Please send us a note at DonorServices@Parkinson.org or fill out this form when you have requested a grant from your DAF, so we can make sure to thank you and ensure that your gift goes where it is intended.
Parkinson's Foundation Helpline
Contact our Helpline at 1-800-4PD-INFO (1-800-473-4636) or Helpline@Parkinson.org for answers to your Parkinson’s questions. Helpline specialists can assist you in English or Spanish, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. References to estate and income taxes include federal taxes only. State income/estate taxes or state law may impact your benefits.