A big part of making life better for people with Parkinson’s disease (PD) is taking care of the people who care for them.
The Parkinson’s Foundation Care Partner Summit | Cumbre Para Cuidadores is designed with care partners in mind and is recommended for anyone caring for someone living with PD, including spouses, partners, children or friends.
The Care Partner Summit
The 2021 Care Partner Summit | Cumbre Para Cuidadores will look a bit different this year, as we are partnering with the Parkinson’s Foundation PD Health @ Home, our virtual educational and wellness program. For the month of May, The Care Partner Summit will take over Mindfulness Monday and Wellness Wednesday.
Mindfulness Monday will offer 4 sessions with Positive Psychologist Maria Sirois, focused on cultivating resilience as a care partner:
- May 3: Introduction to Mindful Resilience for Care Partners
- May 10: Mindful Resilience Part 2: Self Care for Care Partners
- May 17: Mindful Resilience Part 3: Grounded Optimism for Care Partners
- May 24: Mindful Resilience Part 4: Gratitude and Kindness
Wellness Wednesday will include the following four sessions:
- May 5: Your Role in Medications with Ihtsham Haq, MD
- May 12: Slowed Thinking, Speech and Movement – Finding Patience in the Moment with Malia Sako OTD, OTR/L and Michelle R. Haub, MS, CCC-SLP
- May 19: Care Partner Town Hall – Preparing for the Journey featuring Parkinson’s Care Partners from around the United States
- May 26: Sleep, Cognition and Mood with Aleksandar Videnovic, MD, Joseph F. Quinn, M.D., and Martha Anne Tudor, MEd, NCC, LAPC
Spanish translations of these sessions will be available 2 weeks after the English date.
The Care Partner Program: Building a Care Partnership
Following the closure of the live segments, the Parkinson's Foundation Care Partner Program: Building a Care Partnership will be released on June 1, 2021. This set of one-of-a-kind self-paced online courses will offer videos, journal prompts and opportunities to connect with care partners around the world about the topics that are most important to you. Through this program, care partners will better understand their role In managing their loved one's care, create actionable strategies for self care, develop clear networks for support and access relevant tools that will empower them in their role as care partner.
This event is made possible with support from Acorda Therapeutics and ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc.
For more insights on this topic, listen to our podcast episode “The Care Partner Experience.”