Every day with Parkinson’s disease (PD) can feel different. Having a plan in place can better prepare us for the challenges Parkinson’s may present. April is Parkinson’s Awareness Month. This year, we want to encourage everyone in the PD community to take actionable steps to #Plan4PD and share ways that help improve your everyday life with Parkinson's.
Use Our Awareness Month Calendar
Our #Plan4PD calendar was specially created for Awareness Month. Filled with a daily tip, idea and actionable items that can help you better #Plan4PD each day in April, check off every item you complete and follow along with a family member or friend!
7 Ways to Get Involved
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All month long, we will post photos, videos, facts, stories and resources on social media to raise awareness about PD. →Pro tip: want to go a step further? Post about Parkinson’s awareness on your own social media. Feel free to copy, paste and personalize our sample social media posts available in in our Awareness Month kit.
- Submit a Letter to the Editor. A Letter to the Editor is a great way to encourage members of your community to raise awareness about PD in April. You can even add local PD events taking place to the letter. Customize our template and submit it to your local paper.
- Donate. April is a powerful month to help raise Parkinson’s awareness and funds to help us make life better for people with Parkinson’s through better care, cutting-edge research and new initiatives. Visit Parkinson.org/Donate.
- Join our #Plan4PD Conversation. Connect with others within our virtual community. Ask questions that the online PD community can weigh in on. Hear what steps others are taking to feel more empowered. Visit PDConversations.org to join.
- Petition your mayor or governor to declare April Parkinson’s Awareness Month. Spread awareness in your city or state by submitting a Proclamation in three steps. 1. Customize our template in our Awareness Month kit. 2. Go online to find out who to contact in your mayor or governor’s office to submit the proclamation. 3. After you’ve submitted the proclamation, follow up by email or phone to ensure it was received.
- Attend an educational or fundraising event. Did you know we have 10 Moving Day, A Walk for Parkinson’s, events taking place in April across the nation? Visit Parkinson.org/Events to find local events you.
- Submit a “My PD Story” or encourage someone you know to tell his/her story. “My PD Stories” powerfully illustrate what it’s like to live with Parkinson’s and how our programs and resources provide hope and support. Share your story at Parkinson.org/MyPDStory.
Tell Us How You #Plan4PD
Show and tell us how you prepare for today and the years ahead with Parkinson’s. Get creative! Follow along and engage with @ParkinsonDotOrg on your social media platform of choice for practical tasks that you can take on each day throughout April that’ll set you up for success.