Our Chapter’s Impact
Every day, the Parkinson’s Foundation Heartland Chapter works to make a profound impact in the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease (PD) who live in Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri. We keep funds local, significantly investing in ways to make life better for people living with Parkinson’s and their families.
people with Parkinson’s disease served by the Heartland Chapter
people treated at our Centers of Excellence
There are 54,527 people who live with Parkinson’s in the Heartland Chapter. In our area alone, Parkinson’s-related expenses total $2.73 billion.
In the last five years, the Parkinson’s Foundation has invested more than $900,000 to advance research, improve care and connect people with essential educational tools in the Heartland Chapter. Here are some of the ways we are making a local impact:
- 321 people in the region participated in PD GENEration: Mapping the Future of Parkinson’s Disease, the most comprehensive PD genetics test provided at no cost to people with Parkinson’s.
- 20 Foundation-trained research advocates have been paired with scientists to make PD research more effective.
- More than 35,000 people with Parkinson’s receive expert care at our Centers of Excellence.
- 3,613 calls and emails answered through our Helpline, 1-800-4PD-INFO, offering advice, referrals and resources for people with PD, their care partners and families in our area.
- More than 1,000 health professionals trained in best-practice PD care, ensuring people with Parkinson’s have increased access to quality care.
Empowering Through Education
- More than 3,000 people participated in one of the 15 local PD-tailored programs funded through our community grants program.
- More than 5,000 people participated in educational programs focused on wellness, exercise and mental health, aimed to help them live well with Parkinson’s.
- More than $1 million raised through Moving Day, A Walk for Parkinson’s events — bringing together more than 4,000 people to celebrate movement while increasing awareness about PD.
- More than 50,000 educational publications, in English and Spanish, distributed at no cost to people with PD, helping them live their best lives at every stage of the disease.
Thanks to supporters like you, we are advancing PD research, improving access to quality care and offering free resources and support to people with PD in our area. There are many ways you can help support the Heartland Chapter. Whatever form your gift takes, you can be confident that it helps provide crucial resources for people living with Parkinson’s disease, their care partners and loved ones.