Our Chapter’s Impact
Every day, the Parkinson’s Foundation Carolinas Chapter works to make a profound impact in the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease (PD) who live in North Carolina and South Carolina. We keep funds local, significantly investing in ways to make life better for people living with Parkinson’s and their families.
people with Parkinson’s disease served by the Carolinas Chapter
in research grants distributed to 3 researchers in the Carolinas Chapter
There are 36,265 people who live with Parkinson’s in the Carolinas Chapter. In our area alone, Parkinson’s-related expenses total $1.81 billion.
In the last five years, the Parkinson’s Foundation has invested more than $400,000 to advance research, improve care and connect people with essential educational tools in the Midwest Chapter. Here are some of the ways we are making a local impact:
- More than $400,000 provided through Parkinson’s Foundation research grants, funding the critical work of 3 local researchers.
- 17 Foundation-trained research advocates have been paired with scientists to make PD research more effective.
- More than 40,000 people with Parkinson’s receive expert care at our Centers of Excellence.
- 3,737 calls and emails answered through our Helpline, 1-800-4PD-INFO, offering advice, referrals and resources for people with PD, their care partners and families in our area.
- More than 1,400 health professionals trained in best-practice PD care, ensuring people with Parkinson’s have increased access to quality care.
- Nearly $700,000 raised to help fund the life-changing care provided through our Global Care Networks located in the region.
Empowering Through Education
- More than 2,000 people participated in one of the 29 local PD-tailored programs funded through our community grants program.
- More than 4,000 people participated in educational programs focused on wellness, exercise and mental health, aimed to help them live well with Parkinson’s.
- More than $1.5 million raised through Moving Day, A Walk for Parkinson’s events — bringing together more than 4,000 people to celebrate movement while increasing awareness about PD.
- More than 65,000 educational publications, in English and Spanish, distributed at no cost to people with PD, helping them live their best lives at every stage of the disease.
Thanks to supporters like you, we are advancing PD research, improving access to quality care and offering free resources and support to people with PD in our area. There are many ways you can help support the Carolinas Chapter. Whatever form your gift takes, you can be confident that it helps provide crucial resources for people living with Parkinson’s disease, their care partners and loved ones.