April is Parkinson’s Awareness Month, a time when the Parkinson’s community comes together to raise awareness for Parkinson’s disease (PD). Our new incidence study found that every 6 minutes, someone will be diagnosed with Parkinson’s in the U.S.
This month, we want everyone to #Take6forPD — take 6 minutes to help us raise Parkinson’s awareness. There are many ways you can raise awareness, such as participating in research, finding expert care or educating your community about PD.
Read on to learn how you can #Take6forPD:
#Take6forPD to Advance Research
In the U.S., 90,000 people will be diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease this year. Take 6 minutes to help us advance PD research aimed to improve treatments and find a cure.
- Register to participate in PD GENEration: Mapping the Future of Parkinson’s Disease. Our global genetics study offers genetic testing for PD-related genes and genetic counseling at no cost for people with Parkinson’s.
- Watch a Neuro Talk video. Learn about the latest in PD research from PD research experts.
- Join a research study. Explore the different opportunities to get involved with Parkinson’s research.
- Donate to our Parkinson’s Virtual Biotech. Your support helps us invest in new drugs that can deliver life-changing treatments in years, not decades.
- Sign up for an Expert Briefing webinar. Learn more about managing PD symptoms and treatments from PD experts.
#Take6forPD to Improve Access to Care
Research shows that seeing a Parkinson’s specialist can lead to better outcomes. Take 6 minutes to help improve access to high-quality PD care.
- Call our free Helpline. Call 1-800-4PD-INFO (1-800-473-4636) to ask a PD question, get a referral or find a nearby exercise class.
- Find expert care in your area. Enter your zip code to find a medical center near you and your local chapter.
- Order or download a hospital safety kit. These tools will help you advocate for your best care when hospitalized.
- Read a PD publication. Browse our free resource library to deep dive into a PD topic that is important to you.
- Register for a PD Health @ Home event. Designed for the PD community, these weekly online events allow you to access at-home resources all year long.
#Take6forPD to Help Empower & Educate
Finding the right information and resources early in the Parkinson’s journey can make life better for people with PD. Take 6 minutes to feel empowered through educational resources.
- Join our e-mail list. Be the first to know what’s happening in Parkinson’s research and care.
- Share our PD infographic on Facebook or Instagram. Help us raise awareness that 90,000 people are diagnosed with PD every year in the U.S.
- Register for an educational or local event. Connect with the PD community, either in-person or virtually.
- Subscribe or listen to our podcast. Substantial Matters: Life and Science of Parkinson’s highlights the treatments, techniques and research that can help you live a better life now.
- Complete our 60 Miles in April Facebook Challenge. Join hundreds of others in taking the challenge to bike, run or walk 60 miles this month to raise awareness for Parkinson’s.
No matter how you choose to #Take6forPD this month, know that you are making a difference in the lives of people with Parkinson’s.
Take 6 minutes to help create a world without Parkinson’s at Parkinson.org/Awareness.