A donor advised fund (DAF) is a charitable giving program that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to make life better for people with Parkinson’s.
Donor Advised Funds allow donors to put a large sum of money into a charitable investment account (getting an immediate tax deduction) and pay out donations to nonprofits over time.
They are an excellent way to simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals.
The Basics of DAFs
- DAF accounts are held at entities such as financial institutions or community foundations. Examples include
- Commercial Organizations - Fidelity Charitable, Schwab Charitable, Vanguard Charitable, BNY Mellon, or private community foundations.
- National Organizations - National Philanthropic Trust, American Endowment Foundation
- Community Foundations - Local, religious-based, etc.
- These agencies invest the money held in DAF accounts, so the value grows (tax-free).
- It is easy to support causes you care about through a DAF:
- Contribute funds to your DAF and receive a tax deduction
- Recommend an amount be donated from your DAF to your favorite charities
- The grant is issued by the agency directly to the nonprofit(s) you choose
Why consider a Donor Advised Fund?
- Easy for donors to establish and use
- Low or no minimums required to establish
- Donors control when they want to grant money from the DAF to a nonprofit
- You can even make automatic recurring grants in the amount and frequency of your choice
- Gifts are tax deductible as donations to public charities and earnings are exempt
- Donors can convert illiquid assets or other complex gifts into cash through their DAF
- DAFs allow families to collectively support the nonprofits they care about
- You can name a nonprofit as the beneficiary of your DAF
Already have a DAF?
Recommending a gift to the Parkinson's Foundation from your Donor Advised Fund is easy!
Simply click the button below, type in the name of your DAF holding agency, and you’ll be directed to their website where you can submit the request. Please note, you will be directed to an external website to complete your transaction.
If you have any questions about making a tax-deductible gift to the Parkinson's Foundation through a DAF, please contact Kate Douglass at 305-537-9894 or KDouglass@Parkinson.org.
The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. References to estate and income taxes include federal taxes only. State income/estate taxes or state law may impact your benefits.