In this month’s What’s Hot in Parkinson’s disease? column, I review what is becoming a hot topic: a Sinemet shortage. Recently, many people with Parkinson’s disease (PD) have been informed by their pharmacy that there is a shortage of Sinemet or that their brand of Sinemet has been “discontinued.” What should you do?
In this week’s issue of Science Translational Medicine, Bryan Killinger, PhD, and colleagues examined the question, “Will removing my appendix impact my risk of later developing Parkinson’s disease (PD)?”
Interestingly, several recent studies have attempted to answer this question. With the emerging evidence supporting that a gut-brain connection and interaction may play a potential role in Parkinson’s, this subject is a timely one.
All Science News articles summarize a research study and are not an official opinion, endorsement or position of the Parkinson’s Foundation’s.
In 10 percent of people with Parkinson's disease (PD), the disease is familial (tied to genetics), while the other 90 percent are nonfamilial. Mutations in the LRRK2 gene are the most common cause of familial PD. In fact, researchers have identified more than 100 LRRK2 gene mutations in families with PD.
As your Parkinson’s disease (PD) journey evolves, so do your questions about symptoms, treatment options, research and medications. Whether you live with Parkinson’s or care for someone who does, you are not alone in looking for answers to your big PD questions.
To offer more support to the nearly one million people in the U.S. living with Parkinson’s disease (PD), the Parkinson's Foundation has expanded its Helpline hours. You can call with the Helpline with your PD questions at 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636), in English and Spanish, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
The Parkinson’s Foundation Helpline provides guidance on: