The Parkinson's Foundation has long been dedicated to making patient engagement a reality in the Parkinson's community.
Patient Engagement Timeline:
- In 2001, we established www.PDtrials.org as the first website and community coalition to help people with PD understand and find clinical trials.
- In 2006, we established the Parkinson’s Foundation People with Parkinson’s Council, the first-ever PD community council.
- Since 2008, we have trained 300 volunteer patient advocates (people with Parkinson’s and caregivers) to partner with researchers to make research more efficient and effective
- In 2013, we launched our Community Choice Research Awards, a "people's choice award" of Parkinson's research where the PD community has direct input on the research we fund.
- Today, we are leading the field in innovations in patient engagement. Through strengthening the role of patient advocacy organizations, to creating international collaborations, to co-developing news tools, we advance the science of patient engagement and bring new models to the field.
For more insights on this topic, listen to our podcast episode “Personalized Medicine: The Voice of the Patient”.