This month's wellness partner is the HealthPartners Neuroscience Center offering Parkinson's Exercise classes. The staff of HealthPartners Neuroscience Center understand that fitness is an important component to leading a healthy life. When faced with a diagnosis that affects the brain, it is important to be able to rely on knowledgeable professionals to guide you and develop and exercise program that meets your needs. Because of this, the Neuroscience Center offers two types of Parkinson's exercise classes: the Parkinson's Disease Community Exercise Class and Neuroscience Exercise/Clever-PD program.
These programs started shortly after the opening of the Neuroscience Center in April 2017 and continue to grow. The therapists and exercise professionals at the Neuroscience Center have a love of working with people with Parkinson’s disease and understand the need for lifelong exercise. These programs are just the start, and they hope to continue to grow and expand their offerings.
Parkinson's Disease Community Exercise Class:
This class focuses on fun, whole body exercise that pushes you beyond your self-selected level and addresses the symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease. Research shows that attending a group class leads to better compliance and consistency; and exercise can delay or prevent the progression of the physical symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease. These classes offer a moderate intensity class that incorporates exercises from LSVT BIG and PWR and are led by Therapists who have extensive training in Parkinson’s disease. Classes incorporate voice training with physical movement for a whole body workout!
- A fun, energetic exercise class taught by Physical Therapists, Physical Therapy Assistants, Occupational Therapists and Speech Therapists
- Class content is evidenced based, focused on treating the symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders
- Uses principles of LSVT BIG & LOUD, PWR!, and other large amplitude training protocols
- Offered Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:15-12:00 pm (Tuesday's class will incorporate voice exercise under the instruction of a licensed Speech Therapists)
- Monthly Cost - $70/month 2x/wk, $35/month 1x/wk
Neuroscience Exercise Program/CLEVER PD Program:
Additionally, the Neuroscience Center partners with patients interested in advancing on their path to wellness with the Neuroscience Exercise/Clever-PD program. The Neuroscience Exercise Program provides a transition form therapy that enables patients to continue their path to wellness and enhanced quality of life. The program is available to individuals interested in experiencing how supervised exercise beyond rehabilitation can further enhance well-being and improve quality of life. The monthly membership consists of 2-3 days of 60 minute exercise, in which 4 members carry out their individually tailored exercise routine. The Exercise Program routine combines cardio and strength. As part of the Neuroscience Exercise Program, they offer the opportunity to follow the CLEVER-PD cardio-only program geared to promote quality of life and long-term cognitive improvement. This portion of the program is based on the CLEVER - PD research study conducted by the HealthPartners Institute to assess the benefits of endurance exercise on cognition and motor function in individuals with Parkinson’s.
- Exercise program tailored to the patient's needs
- Initial baseline aerobic and strength testing measured
- Supervised, group exercise sessions with 4-6 participants, 2-3 times / week
- Periodic reassessments to track progress
- Monthly Cost - $175/month (3x/wk), $150/month (2x/wk)