Reports to: Senior Vice President, Chief Communications Officer
Position Status: Full-Time, Exempt
The Parkinson's Foundation makes life better for people with Parkinson’s disease by improving care and advancing research toward a cure. In everything we do, we build on the energy, experience, and passion of our global Parkinson's community.
The Parkinson’s Foundation is seeking a full-time Public Relations Manager to develop and implement strategic public relations and communications initiatives to increase the Foundation’s visibility and thought leadership as the authoritative voice in Parkinson’s research and care. The manager will promote Foundation leadership and key programs, including research and fundraising efforts, to grow national awareness of the mission.
It is essential that the Manager demonstrates and upholds the Foundation values of collaboration, dedication, excellence, integrity, positivity, responsiveness, and teamwork.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Media Relations:
- Increase visibility of Parkinson’s Foundation programs and initiatives by identifying opportunities for media placement, developing messaging, and pitching stories.
- Secure media opportunities for CEO, National Medical Advisor, and Chief Scientific Officer as key thought leaders.
- Work with PR firm to support national media campaigns and serve as main contact for account.
- Secure media opportunities that integrate the voice of people living with the disease, their caregivers and families, and Parkinson’s advocates.
- Serve as media contact at public events/conferences; respond to incoming media requests.
- Draft and distribute national press releases and pitches to relevant media.
- Maintain crisis communication plans and messaging as needed.
- Vet paid media opportunities as needed; manage annual radio and satellite media tours.
- Staff/Stakeholder Support:
- Support local interview requests as needed, including coordinating interviews, drafting briefing documents, and conducting one-on-one prep.
- For major campaigns and initiatives, conduct media trainings for field and chapter staff, including the development of media kits with template press releases, media advisories, interview best practices and media lists.
- Grow relationships with Parkinson’s volunteers, partners, sponsors, and other stakeholders to serve as a resource.
- Work with community engagement teams to develop an array of messaging to reach a wide range of population groups to raise awareness of the Foundation and Parkinson’s disease.
- Media Research, Monitoring & Administration:
- Monitor research, consumer, and industry news to identify relevant trends and potential outreach opportunities.
- Assist in the identification of newsworthy science in partnership with the research team to promote the work of the Foundation to the public.
- Develop and lead one-off media trainings for key stakeholders and individual spokespeople.
- Research and develop awards strategy and secure accolades for Foundation executives, campaigns, and major initiatives.
- Monitor and track press daily for coverage of the Foundation and Parkinson’s disease; distribute weekly media roundup for staff and Board of Directors; maintain pressroom on Parkinson.org.
- Develop and maintain speaker’s bureau, press lists and contacts; utilize Cision to track and leverage media contacts and analyze results.
- Develop plans for, execute and report annual brand and multicultural campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or related field.
- 5 years experience in public relations with a strong track record in proactive media outreach. Experience working for a non-profit organization or a health care institution a plus.
- Excellent verbal, writing and editing skills with the ability to translate complex science into communications for the general public.
- Ability to collaborate with staff in a variety of roles, functions, and leadership levels.
- Strong history as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of projects concurrently.
- Knowledge of organic media monitoring, Cision, PR Newswire and MuckRack.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
- Cross-cultural communication experience a plus.
Demonstrates the organizational values of excellence, teamwork, collaboration, integrity, positivity, dedication, and responsiveness.
Compensation for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to Employment@Parkinson.org. Applicant review will continue until the position is filled. Please indicate the job title in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please.
The Parkinson’s Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our culture and in our work on behalf of people with Parkinson's disease.
All new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, subject to any legally required accommodations.