The National Parkinson Foundation Launches New and Improved Parkinson.org
Premier website for the Parkinson's disease community
MIAMI, Aug. 3, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The National Parkinson Foundation announces today the official launch of a redesigned website, www.parkinson.org, devoted to increasing awareness and understanding of Parkinson's disease by offering free resources to people diagnosed with the disease and their families.
"More and more people are looking online for answers to their Parkinson's-related questions and the National Parkinson Foundation wants them to know that they are not alone," said Michael Okun, MD, NPF National Medical Director. "Parkinson.org is the most trusted source of information on Parkinson's and an indispensable resource for anyone living with the disease and their caregivers."
Parkinson.org provides information to help every person diagnosed with Parkinson's live their best life now. The user-friendly site explains the diagnosis of PD, the various motor and non-motor symptoms, treatments and tips for living well. Site visitors can find help and resources in their local communities, or get involved with a local fundraising event.
The newly-enhanced site features:
- A responsive design, meaning it displays well on a tablet or a smartphone
- A clickable resource map that features Parkinson's experts and community organizations in your area
- Expanded blog offerings written by Parkinson's researchers, neurologists and experienced caregivers
- Easy-to-use fundraising pages for participation in Moving Day® and Team Hope™ for Parkinson's
- Tribute pages that honor your loved ones
- Updated event calendar to search upcoming events in your area
- Share your story feature
- Latest news and the popular "Ask the Doctor" online forums
- Online store to purchase branded awareness items and order free educational materials
- Share pages that interest you with others across Facebook, Twitter, and email
All Parkinson.org visitors can use the special code "WEBSITE" during the month of August to receive 10% off any merchandise order at www.parkinson.org/store.
About the National Parkinson Foundation (NPF)
Founded in 1957, the National Parkinson Foundation's mission is to help every person diagnosed with Parkinson's live their best possible life now. NPF has funded more than $189 million in care, research and support services. For more information, visit www.parkinson.org, or call the NPF Helpline at 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636).
About Parkinson's Disease (PD)
Affecting an estimated one million Americans and four to six million worldwide, Parkinson's is the second most common neurodegenerative disease after Alzheimer's and is the 14th leading cause of death in the United States. It is associated with a progressive loss of motor control (e.g., shaking or tremor at rest and lack of facial expression) as well as non-motor symptoms (e.g., depression and anxiety). There is no cure for PD and 60,000 new cases are diagnosed each year in the United States alone.