Getting Around: Walkers
- Get a four, or more, wheeled walker, which offers better stability and easier turns.
- Special features such as large wheels, swivel casters, and hand brakes provide the most stability.
- Walkers with built-in seats and baskets can be especially helpful.
- If you experience freezing of gait there are laser canes and walkers available. The U-Step has an optional laser cue for helping with Parkinson's freezing.
- Avoid four-post walkers, or standard walkers. Picking up the walker to advance it can cause a backward loss of balance.
For more information on products to stop falls and increase mobility, contact:
In-Step Mobility Products Corp.
Want to Learn More?
Medical content reviewed by: Nina Browner, MD—Medical Director of the NPF Center of Excellence at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in North Carolina and by Fernando Pagan, MD—Medical Director of the NPF Center of Excellence at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C.