State Health Insurance Pools
- Many states offer health insurance for those who medically can’t qualify in the open market.
- Minnesota, for example, has the Minnesota Comprehensive Health Association, which guarantees a quality health insurance product to all Minnesotans who have at least a six-month residency.
- The rates are only about 20% higher than similar coverage would cost a perfectly healthy person.
- The balance of the money needed to fund the claims is paid for with premium taxes of 2% of premiums for the healthy.
- If you have Parkinson's and are unable to get health insurance, check with your State insurance Department for the availability of a product like this for you.
- If your State does not offer such a program and you really need the coverage, consider relocating to a state that does offer a program.
Content for this section provided by Jack Hungelmann, who has had PD since 1996.