There are many ways to address Parkinson’s-related sexual dysfunction.
Sex therapy, couples therapy and behavioral therapy tips:
- Increase open sexual communication between sexual partners.
- Plan the setting of sexual activity (including time, location, position and roles).
- Practice comfortable positions.
- Adapt new sexual roles according to the couple’s abilities.
- Find new solutions for physical limitations (such as, touch, arousal, orgasm).
- Perform intimacy training and erotic tasks.
- Practice sensate focus — a process of re-learning body sensations.
- Practice growing intimacy and satisfaction through sexual stimulation without intercourse, then begin to add it back in, known as the intercourse-outercourse approach.
- Work with medical staff to reduce the effects of medications on sexual function.