Text Size

Shopping Cart

Message Board>

Welcome to the NPF archives section. View the archived threads below for additional information on topics. Please note that you can no longer reply to the threads within this archive area. To start a new topic, go back to the main forum area.

Jaw tremor

Marla3
19 posts
Sep 12, 2007
9:15 AM
About two weeks ago my bottom jaw began to tremor. It is pretty much constant from the time I wake up til the time I fall asleep,though it will stop when I am talking or eating. It is very bothersome. I mentioned it to the neurologist when it first started and he thought it might be caused by the stress I had been through this past month(PD dx,loss of my job, changes in our household), but I'm not so sure. Has anyone else experienced this symptom? Do your meds help with it? I'm not on any meds right now and am wondering if this is a good time to start. Thanks for your input, Marla
suzan29
18 posts
Sep 12, 2007
10:52 AM
That also happens to me also. Sometimes my jaw snaps shut,at times grating my teeth and accidently biting my tongue.It mostly happens when I following off to sleep.I wear a night guard to stop my grinding,but if I just go down for a nap and I forget to put it in,ouch,that hurts.
JLM52
2 posts
Sep 22, 2007
7:10 AM
The Neupro patch cased me to develop a jaw tremor. You might check the side effects of all medications you are taking.

My jaw tremor felt like my teeth were constantly chattering. I stopped the patch two days ago and have gone back on Mirapex and the jaw tremor has decreased a lot.

IndyMama
4 posts
Oct 24, 2007
6:06 AM
Marla,
Hey! I posted to your message in another spot about this, but yeah, I've had a jaw tremor for over a year now. It's in my lower jaw and is constant. It only stops when I talk, when I eat, and when I chew gum, unless I'm VERY NERVOUS and then it's like shivering-teeth chattering bad. Do you have trouble sleeping from it? I do! Have you started any meds yet? This was one of my first symptoms (had symptoms for 3 years, this came on in year 1).

As they said >> "My jaw tremor felt like my teeth were constantly chattering."

That's what it feels like. So fast that you know that it's not something you're doing consciously. It's almost faster than a normal teeth chatter, though.

Last Edited on 24-Oct-2007 6:07 AM

ConnieD
174 posts
Oct 26, 2007
9:54 AM
Interesting threads on the jaw tremors. My jaw tremors are pretty constant at night now- probably happening during the day too, but I chew gum and drink water constantly now due to saliva issues so I may not be so 'aware' of it. At night though, it just seems to go on and on, and I've had jaw clenching and grinding issues for over 10 years now and with noticing these new jaw tremors over the past 2-3 months, I've experienced a definite increase in biting my inner cheeks, tongue and lips. Thankfully I haven't had problems with my jaw snapping shut. Prior to my jaw tremors, one of my first symptoms was facial tremors, my vision wavey as I see icons and lines bouncing on computer and tv screens, and when I first complained of it my doc(s) kept saying it was 'anxiety' and my 'Fibromyalgia' acting up (ha- they still say that, still waiting to get into the movement disorder clinic). But now the tremors are both in my face and jaw. It's one of the strangest feelings with my eyes bouncing, my cheeks in this 'shiver' mode and now my jaw. Sounds to me like the symptom is more PD than medication related, but I could imagine medications and stress might make them worse too. ((hugs)) Connie
IndyMama
9 posts
Oct 30, 2007
3:53 PM
"when I first complained of it my doc(s) kept saying it was 'anxiety' and my 'Fibromyalgia' acting up"

Don't you just love that?! lol! ;-) I tell my husband that diseases like YOPD are great for Diagnosis Mystery (and shows like that). Of course, I haven't seen anyone with YOPD on there yet, but maybe someone should apply! Sheesh. :/

Rick T
1 post
Nov 14, 2007
8:59 AM
I have been having jaw tremors for two months. When my teeth are somewhat close together they chatter 200 times a minute, my bottom jaw is more active. So far I can control it during the day. The night has been the biggest problem. I have a mouthguard for stopping the teeth grinding and it worked for a few weeks but now the chattering continues at night. I've had a few horrible nights of sleep. I have been also having hand, leg and arm tremors for several years and although bothersome they are not constant or psychologically as challenging. I am very fearful of going to the doctor and also not going. Essential tremors and Parkinson's afflict my parents and as a person in my fifties I should know better about reading information on the internet but I just had to see if anyone else had this problem. I have taken heavy doses of Wellbutrin and some clonazapam for only night for many years. Any suggestions besides seeing a neurologist, which I will do soon, would be appreciated. Also, has anyone heard of anyone who tried Botox. I don't know if it is even done for this problem.
Rick T

Last Edited on 14-Nov-2007 10:38 AM

IndyMama
56 posts
Nov 14, 2007
10:39 AM
Rick,
Hey! I have a resting jaw tremor that is more noticeable when my teeth are together. During the day I chew gum. I have no remedy for night-time tremors other than to try a medication for tremor (such as a PD drug). Mouthguards don't work for me, and I think the grinding has to do with the jaw tremor anyway. I sought help for the tremor but didn't receive it from a neuro; you might, since you are in your 50s. If it gets worse when you STOP talking/chewing, and goes away when you do talk/chew/move your mouth, it's a resting tremor. Jaw tremors are more common in PD than in ET, I've read. And resting tremors are pretty characteristic of PD.

Sorry I can't recommend anything other than seeing a neuro. How long have you had arm tremors, and is it on one side or both sides? Is it resting or not?

Please feel free to email me at indymama (at) comcast (dot) net.

Regards,
IndyMama

cutiepie
2 posts
Nov 16, 2007
2:58 AM
I have a jaw tremor, a resting tremor. I notice its worse if i'm anxious or if i'm cold. My tongue tremors as well. notice it more when i'm trying to eat something like a ice lollie or something similar lol
Marla3
25 posts
Nov 16, 2007
6:32 AM
Cutiepie, you are the first person I have heard mention the tongue tremor along with the jaw tremor. I have both, too, with the tongue tremor probably the more constant and annoying. I'm hoping the Azilect that I've just started will help alleviate that somewhat. For those of you with tremors in the mouth area, do they affect your speech at all? Marla
cutiepie
3 posts
Nov 16, 2007
7:09 AM
Hi Maria, when my tongue tremors at its worst i do find it hard to talk and i tend to get a build up of saliva. I also find that swallowing tends to be affected as well. Normally it happens when i'm in a "off" period of my PD symptoms
CW444
2 posts
Nov 18, 2007
9:19 PM
Hello,

I tried posting and don't think it worked. Does anyone have a problem with their jaw snapping while sleeping?
I have traumatic brain injury and spinal degeneration from an accident at work. No doctors believe me when I tell them my jaw snapps like an angry dog at night. I cracked off a 1st molar crown it is so bad.

ANYONE HEAR OF THIS ISSUE! PLEASE HELP!

Sincerely,
CW

IndyMama
58 posts
Nov 19, 2007
5:47 AM
Ouch! I haven't heard of it, but I believe you! Tell the docs to put you in a sleep study for a night, to monitor your jaw snapping. Breaking off molars isn't good!! Yikes! Or maybe, see if you can get it on film at home. That's all I can think of to provide evidence. My tremor isn't perceptible enough yet for me to film it, although I imagine it will be with time. Good luck! I'm sure someone here can provide you some help.

IndyMama

CW444
3 posts
Nov 19, 2007
3:23 PM
Thank-you Indimama,
Great name! It is insane to have a major symptom and no-body knows about. One fellow from England found a post I wrote on it and he emailed me with the same complaint and did not find a doctor who could explain this malady.

Oddly enough I was a Dental Hygienist and have seen things you would not believe! I never heard of 'jaw snapping' before. A doctor from Centre of Neuroskills emailed stating it could be damage of the Pre-central Gyrus in the Frontal Lobe, which regulates jaw function. Workers' docs don't believe me but I've been screwed by them for 7 years
and running. With advanced spine degeneration, right shoulder nerve root impingement, dislocated left shoulder with rotator cuff surgery and traumatic brain injury of which I only received 6 epidurals for the spine.

Maybe someday I'll find out.

Sincerely.
CW444

Chaoskay
1 post
Dec 30, 2007
12:45 PM
Hi,

Tis is addressed to CW44. I have a problem with my teeth snapping at night when I sleep too. I randomly found this site, whilst trying to find information on this as it is worrying me. I keep biting my tongue really quite badly, and I'm worried I will actually take a chunk out of it one of these days.

I've heard of teeth grinding, but not this anywhere before. Have you managed to find out any info about why it happens? It is driving me mad, keeps jolting me out of sleep, and it hurts like hell. Just wondered. I hope you get this message cos I don't really know where else to look for info, and maybe you know more than me?

On a totally different subject, Happy 2008 by the way!

indycarrie
1 post
Dec 31, 2007
7:00 AM
I thought I was going crazy until I found this board. I have never had the jaw clamping problem until about a month ago. Now, it is driving me crazy. I have bit a big chunk out of the side of my cheek, I have bit my tongue on several occasions and wake myself up. This has just started recently and I have never noticed this problem before.

I really don't think stress is the culprit, but I hope someone has heard of something so I can figure out what's causing it. Should I consult my dentist or my doctor? I wonder why this would come on suddenly and now it is happening every night.

Chaoskay
2 posts
Jan 01, 2008
1:46 PM
Hello! Yes, it is very annoying isn't it, and actually a bit scary - I'm genuinly worried I'm going to bite my tongue quite badly some time. I had a phase of it happening all the time, and then it stopped. Has started again quite recently though. I think it might just be a variation on teeth grinding, but I don't know. I'm going to talk to my dentist and if it carries on, I'll probably get a gum shield or something awful like that. Anyway, you have my sympathy! Can't offer any advice as currently trying to bite my tongue off most nights and I don't know what to do about it either, lol. Happy 2008 anyway! :O)
indycarrie
2 posts
Jan 02, 2008
6:50 AM
It's just good to know that I'm not the only one. Okay, not really...I don't want others to have to go through it, too, just glad I don't have some freakish anomaly. Everyone keeps mentioning stress, but I think I am relatively stress free right now, so I don't know how to relax any more than I do already. If I find anything useful, I will pass it along. I certainly don't want to have to go to the mouth guards.
mamilishes
1 post
Jan 08, 2008
12:42 PM
I WAS CURIOUS TO KNOW WHY MY TEETH CHATTER?? I CANT BELIEVE WHAT IM READING. MY FAMILY THINKS IM CRAZY THAT ITS ALL IN MY HEAD BUT WHEN I MAKE A SMILEY FACE ..LIKE A CHEESE I FEEL MY TEETH HITTING EACHOTHER...SO FAST!!!! ITS LIKE MY NERVOUS ARE CRAZY.... IS THERE ANYTHING THAT HELPS? EVER SINCE I WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT IN 2001 I JUST FEEL SO WEIRD.
Chaoskay
3 posts
Jan 10, 2008
2:01 PM
ok, so the fact that I'm posting on a Young Onset Parkinson's Association site is worrying me, does this mean I'm likely to be starting with something like this?! Or does it just mean I've got a nervous twitch in my jaw when I sleep? Any reassurance would be appreciated.
Chaoskay
4 posts
Jan 13, 2008
9:26 PM
This forum is very quiet! I give up, where you all hiding, lol!
IndyMama
128 posts
Jan 15, 2008
1:51 PM
mamilishes - the teeth chattering sounds like it could a tremor. I don't experience jaw "snapping" and my jaw tremor/tightness isn't painful, so I cannot comment on that symptom. However my teeth chatter almost constantly, except for when I eat, chew gum, and talk. It's very fast and very hard for others to see. Is that what you experience? Is that the only "shakiness" that you experience? My jaw is the only noticeable tremor I have at the moment.

----------
IndyMama
http://youngparkinsonsmyjourney.blogspot.com/

Last Edited on 15-Jan-2008 1:52 PM

ConnieD
242 posts
Jan 16, 2008
8:19 AM
IndyMama- my jaw tremors too, and yesterday I noticed when I went to take a drink from a glass that my lower teeth were hitting it, but it seemed slower compared to the fast normal jittery jaw tremor I have most of the time- do ever get that slow jerky jaw tremor too? thnx! Connie
IndyMama
143 posts
Jan 16, 2008
2:56 PM
Hey!

No, I never get the slow, jerky tremor, although my jaw muscles do tighten up from time to time and cause me headaches. I don't notice the jaw tremor ever causing me problems when I eat, but I do notice it bad enough all the time for it to bother me. Do you think this tremor could be coming out because you have been so emotionally frustrated lately? Stress makes all of the symptoms so much worse!

ConnieD
243 posts
Jan 16, 2008
4:09 PM
Yes and no- recent stress from the vitamin D fiasco is perhaps bringing my attention to the tremor more and perhaps why it might be a slower, jerkier type tremor rather than the fine- but my first jaw tremor started over 2 years- the fast tremor- the same time the left side of my face went numb and my facial tremors started. Does that make sense?
Jim G
1 post
Jan 21, 2008
1:19 PM
I just joined YOPA and I was interested to see message subject of jaw tremor. I was a professional trombonistfor many years and in the early 1990s (in my mid-40s), I noticed a tremor in my jaw that affected my playing. To make a long story short, after much frustration, I was diagnosed with PD about 2 years ago. I took part in an Azilect study hoping it would help me return to the level of playing I was used to but that, unfortunately, has not happened. My neurologist tells me that there has not been a great deal of success dealing with facial tremors.

I've had to adjust my level of expectation in regard to playing trombone. It took me a while to get to this point but, as a result, I'm much happier. Just thought I'd share that with you.

Jerry H
1 post
Jan 22, 2008
9:48 PM
Hi,
This is interesting discussion and might give clues to my medical condition. I'm 43 and I seem to have resting tremors because when I close my jaw most of the way my teeth chatter. AND my gums have a dull aching sensation just about all the time, except when I'm eating or chewing. Seems like when I've been under a lot of stress I would tend to clench my jaw too, and that would just worsen the aching and pressure in my gums and even make my jaw muscles sore. Three different dental professionals haven't been able to figure out what's causing this. Does this sound like PD?
It turns out my Dad has been diagnosed with PD and is on medication. But he never had these above symptoms, nor have any of my nine brothers and sisters.
Thanks in advance,
Jerry H.
soundbug
1 post
Jan 30, 2008
11:43 PM
I have seen several doctors including my regular GP as well as a highly rated Neurologist. They have ran several tests on me including the MRI scan but could not find anything wrong.

Its like when you're cold you bring your teeth together they hit one another and cause the chatter. My condition suddenly came about about 5 months ago. I never had any previous problems prior to this with such a condition. I just woke up one day and I found my teeth chattering. I attributed it to being hungry at first so I had some food but it never went away till today.

I am currently under high blood pressure medication as I have sleep apnea and on a CPAP machine since 2002. The high blood pressure was due to this condition i had before which was untreated. Since I have been taking medication for blood pressure since then, I am still taking them even after my sleep apnea condition had been treated.

My doctors also suspect that it could be related to stress as this condition happened shortly after I took on a new job. The job stresses and challenges are demanding but it comes with the nature of the job. Of course, there is also a constant worry here and there if you don't do well or fail to perform up to expectations. I have been under alot of stressful situations before so I am puzzled by this. Is not like I cannot handle stress. Initially they (my doctors) also thought it could be due to a virus attacking my nervous system but ruled that out as I had never been ill or had any fever or anything like that lately.

My GP told me that stress can manifest itself in many forms and in my case it could be teeth chattering. The doctors prescribed my initially a couple of muscle relaxants and medication that are in the sleep pills category. They also tried something for fits. All of them had little or zero effect but gave me horrible side effects like hallucinations and constant tiredness and affected my ability to concentrate at work. One medication was so bad that I was seeing shadows and i couldn't coordinate my typing causing me to be unable use my hands to type. All these medications were stopped immediately after these side effects were detected. They came to a conclusion it could be more physiological than anything else and reaffirmed that it could be a problem with stress as if it was a issue it could have gotten better with these medications. But they also say that my symptoms could be neurological as chattering of the facial muscles also are in the same category of eye twitching, neck spasm and related issues pertaining to the facial muscles. So if its stress than I guess it will go away if I quit my job and take a break, but if its not, then its looks like its going to be a neuro problem which they cannot help. Apparently according to them, this area of the brain has not be addressed yet in terms of medical history and they have not determine how to cure these kind of facial spams issue yet or look into the problems causing this assuming its neuro/brain related. On rare occasions, I sometimes feel my neck twitch... but only sometimes...

As of today, the condition still persists... sometimes chattering is slight other days its a little more but I have learnt to live with it... Just wondering how this came about and how to get rid of it.

Marla3
31 posts
Feb 01, 2008
5:54 AM
I've had my jaw/tongue tremor for several months now. My first neurologist told me I didn't have it! (I'm not with her anymore!) My current neurologist first said it could be stress related, but as time has gone by and the tremor continues regardless of my life's situations, he considers it a symptom of PD. IndyMama, mine is just like yours. It's much like my teeth are chattering, or my tonue is moving very fast and continuous. It freaked me out so much when it first started, but I've gotten more used to it now. But it is still weird to think about! Gum is my best friend with this.
Marla

Last Edited on 1-Feb-2008 5:55 AM

kman
16 posts
Feb 01, 2008
9:52 AM
marla,

i have been dx with pd and this has been happening on and off for me also for a while...mostly whan i am about to sleep. snapped down on my tongue when i was a asleeep...that hurt...lol..so my answer is yes it is a symptom i have. wish you best you are not alone.

eric aka kman

IndyMama
151 posts
May 21, 2008
11:07 AM
Quote: " I've had my jaw/tongue tremor for several months now. My first neurologist told me I didn't have it! (I'm not with her anymore!) My current neurologist first said it could be stress related, but as time has gone by and the tremor continues regardless of my life's situations, he considers it a symptom of PD....

Marla,
did your jaw tremor happen to start out as a stiffness in the jaw, like mine? Doctors thought I had TMJ as early as 2-4 years before my jaw tremor started. My jaw tremor was intermittent, but is now constant - medication or not. (I haven't yet gotten the chance to take mirapex due to pregnancy.) Does your medicine help out with the tremor? Does it bug you when you try to sleep?

----------
IndyMama
http://www.refusedefeat.com

ConnieD
280 posts
May 23, 2008
11:06 AM
Whoa, interesting! I was dx'd with TMJ in 1995- stiffness, difficulty opening it, crackling/popping sounds and now I've been feeling the jaw tremor for over a year. It's not too bad really, but very annoying as it just really never seems to quit now- always that fine, fast tremble... interesting.
IndyMama
170 posts
May 25, 2008
3:29 PM
Wow. I agree! I wonder for whom else this was the case? In my case, I don't believe that I have TMJ at all - it is/was PD, I believe. The issues I had with my jaw proceeded getting other PD symptoms by at least 5 years... I was probably 14 by then and got PD symptoms around 18.

Did anything they give you for TMJ ever help? didn't for me!
----------
IndyMama

IndyMama
171 posts
May 25, 2008
3:31 PM
Oh, those were EXACTLY my symptoms - especially the cracking/popping! I also got popping joints in my right hand before I developed the tremor. My jaw tremor NEVER goes away, either...no matter how rested I am. Although I haven't yet taken Mirapex to see if it helps. Didn't you take mirapex or requip for a while?

----------
IndyMama

ConnieD
282 posts
May 27, 2008
12:13 PM
LOL- Indy- my 'TMJ' jaw symps started just 5-6 yrs before my stiffness/slowness... it was crazy, dentist sent me to TMJ specialist and after yr of TMJ biteguard & pt that doc sent me to orthdontist- by that time it really wasn't bothering me, just sounded bad with the noises it made, 2 yrs in braces, 6 months after getting them off, orthdontist was irked- my teeth had already moved right back to pre-positions- lol... my jaw has really stayed the same (popping/grinding/crackling) is stiff at times, but now the tremor, it's not really bothersome...

would love to hear from you- love the new website.. can't wait to dive in more

donalddouglas at comcast dot net

((hugs)) Con

LisaP
1 post
Sep 29, 2008
8:02 AM
I found this board by Googling "jaw tremor" today and I am now really worried. Has everyone on here (with a jaw tremor) been diagnosed with early onset PD? I was thinking I'd find "too much caffeine" or "stress" as causes of this sudden onset jaw tremor I'm feeling, but the first things that came up were Parkinson's Disease. I have a doctor's appointment next week but maybe I should try to move it up. The symptoms people are describing here are exactly what I have: chattering teeth. No real clamping though. Help!
Michel40
11 posts
Sep 29, 2008
10:53 AM
I do not get jaw tremor but from time to time, my jaw will feel as if it was frozen or locked.

Anyone else had similar symptom?

Mikecj001
1 post
Oct 14, 2008
4:24 PM
I have had jaw snapping for about 5 years. It sometimes comes with RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome) which I also have a bad case of. I'm using a night guard to prevent my cheeks and tongue from being bitten several times during sleep or going to sleep. The night guard works pretty well. Does anyone know what the medical or dental term for jaw snapping is?
jake09
2 posts
Jul 16, 2009
12:16 PM
If you are grinding teeth or clenching your jaw/teeth, you should look into getting a mouth guard/night guard. I hear TotalGard.com has affordable mouth/night guards .. I am actually looking into myself now. I hope this helps!

Jake

aj36
5 posts
Jul 16, 2009
12:53 PM
I have had a jaw tremor for an estimated year and a half. I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed if it was a rhythmic tremor. I thought at first it was my heartbeat but discovered that the rhythm was faster than my heartrate. 3 months ago I was seeing my neuro and he dicovered that my tounge was rythmicly contracting or spasming at the same time my jaw was trembling. This tremor gets worse at night when trying to rest at times causing my whole head to shake and keeping me up. I here a lot of jaw tremors but have not heard anyone mention a rhythm to the tremor. Anyone?

aj

Carol41
143 posts
Jul 16, 2009
5:38 PM
Hi aj, i hav a jaw tremor and tongue,my head tremors as well, started in my jaw bout 2yrs ago at 1st i Thot it was my pulse i cud hear against the pillow,i also had the snappin shut thing ppl or talkin about and v painfull jaw muscle ach! You shud get 1 of those nite guards there talkin about,2 late 4 me Ive lost all of my back teeth
Beccapooh
142 posts
Jul 16, 2009
6:14 PM
I have the teeth "chattering" tremor, too. I've also noticed a "clenched" jaw feeling. Like I can't open my mouth very wide. The jaw muscle will just ache and ache, too. I've also experienced SEVERE right ear pain (my effected side) for years. It's as if my ear is "ON WRONG", like if I could just twist it straight it wouldn't hurt anymore. I can also "feel" my ear drum and other muscles contracting and shaking (tremor?) and that can hurt, too. (Not always though, some times it almost tickles like I have a bug in my ear almost).

Most of my problems are bulbar in nature. I have swallowing and speech issues. The chattering teeth just seemed to fit right in!!!

Alicia75
1 post
Jul 17, 2009
4:19 PM
Jaw tremors and jaw snapping...
I had the jaw snapping issue while asleep at night, horrible, I would feel anxious at night due to the jaw snapping and sometime biting the inside of my cheeks, then the jaw tremors started. I did alot of research on Magnesium defeciency and have started taking it. Do your research on what Magnesium is better absorbed and how to take it. Also, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables rich in magnesium. Magnesium is such on important and vital mineral. Read on how important Magnesium, Calcium and Pottasium are for us. I am extremely HAPPY to say that since taking the Magnesium (chelated) Malat, no jaw tremors or jaw snapping!!!! Please read as much as you can on how Magnesium works and what type of Magnesium is best absorbed. Some Magnesium is poorly absorbed. You have to also read on how to take the correct ratio of Magnesium/Calcium for better absorption. I was also experiencing muscle twitching and itchy skin. The Magnesium supplements stopped all of my symptoms. According to my symptoms, I was Magnesium deficient due to my poor diet of processed food, hight saturated fats, not enough fruits and vegetables, and caffeine. Please do research on Magnesium it is such an important mineral for our bodies, with so many functions. If you have bad kidneys, talk to your doctor. Too much Magnesium is toxic, especially if you have problems with your kidneys. I hope this helps everyone like it has me.
chatteringteeth88
1 post
Jul 28, 2009
1:20 PM
I have had chattering teeth for about a week now..like if i bring them close enough they begin chattering and it's kind of worrying me...so any news on why your teeth chattered LisaP, soundbug, and mamilishes?
chatteringteeth88
2 posts
Jul 28, 2009
11:00 PM
and has it gone away?
add
9 posts
Feb 25, 2010
1:00 AM

Last Edited on 25-Feb-2010 1:42 AM